Friday, December 5, 2008

The Magic Circus - Scene 9

At front door of house, which is now quiet inside as the Australians are outside at the van. Monk talks to Bud at the front door. From Monk’s perspective we see the Aussies horsing around, switching music, flipping through bits of songs on the radio. From Bud’s perspective he sees Monk and the now quiet, empty house.

Bud – You’re sure you don’t want to come?

Monk – Yeah, I’m sure, I’m kind of tired, all this sunlight, you know, the squinting’s worn me out.

Bud – It’s not the money? I’ll spot you…

Monk – No, no. I’m beat. And I have to call Mary.

Bud - Oh. Well. Have fun with that.

Monk – Thanks.

Bud turns and screams at the top of his lungs at the Aussies.

Bud – Turn that GALDARNED Music DOWN! People LIVE here, ya know!!

Monk shakes his head, looks down, laughs softly, then turns and shuts the door. He pulls his phone out of his pocket as he walks through the house back to the kitchen table where he sits down, sets phone next to his drawings, which are static. He stares at the phone, he stares at his drawings. He picks up a pencil and spins it on his finger. He looks at the phone. He slams the pencil down, picks up the phone and pushes buttons.

Phone rings in Redmond home. Junior answers.

Monk – Hey, Mookie.

Junior – Hey Dad.

Monk – How ya’ doin’

Junior – I’m fine.

Monk – How’s Mom.

Junior – She’s not happy.

Monk – Yeah, I know. Can I talk to her.

Pause

Junior – I don’t think she wants to talk to you right now.

Pause

Monk – Really?

Junior – Yeah. Really.

Pause

Monk – OK. Tell her I called.

Junior – OK.

Pause

Junior – Dad?

Monk – Yeah.

Junior – When are you coming home?

Monk – I’ll be home soon.

Pause

Junior – Dad?

Monk – Yeah.

Junior – You better be.

Monk – That bad?

Junior – Yeah.

Monk – OK. You be good.

Junior – You, too.

Pause

Monk – I love you.

Junior – ‘Love you, too.

They hang up. Monk goes back to his drawings.

End scene

No comments: